Saturday, June 26, 2010

Back Doors

I'm officially in love with small towns.


I've been visiting my father awhile and nothings really changed, he's still never home to hang out with me or even try to get to know me again, but that's not realy a surprise.

Since my father isn't around much, I've been spending a lot of time just getting to know this new town I've never even heard of and let me tell you something: It's amazing.

In this small town, everyone is happy, which is weird, because lots of the people here barely have enough food in their houses to feed their families, but still they feel like the luckiest people in the world. The teens here don't go around knocking over mailboxes or stealing little kids candy, instead they go to school, WALK home, do their chores, and then they go outside and enjoy the wonderful weather. There's no malls, there's only one old movie theatre, and just about no wifi, but still the people don't complain, because they're lucky.

I wish I could be as carefree as everyone in the neighborhood, but I'm not happy. I wish I could live like the people in this town, im small houses in small neighborhoods where everyone knows everyone. I wish it were that simple to be as happy as they are, but it's not.

Out of all the things that fascinate me about this town, one of them blows them all away: People use each other backs doors.

How many people do you all know who let people just waltz in through their back door like it's natural? I don't happen to know any where I grew up.

Most people have fences or walls guarding their back doors, but not the people in this town. In this tiny little town people leave their back doors open all the time so whoever wants too can just come right on in and say hello. To me, that's beautiful. If people just opened up once in awhile like the people in this town do for each other, I really think the world would be a better place.

This whole town has made me realize something about myself that I'd forgotten: I've closed all my doors. I never let anyone in, not even when they're family. It's something I had taken no notice in until now, when i saw the way people talked to their neighbors like they are family.

From now on, I'm going to try and keep all my doors wide open :)

1 comment:

  1. I hope you do pal
    How are you getting on?
    I'd like chat with you. You seem ok.
    If you don't, it ok. Take care.

    ReplyDelete