Saturday, June 26, 2010

11:11 p.m.

Aly sleeps a lot when I come over, but she tries to stay awake to talk to me. She says she worries too much about how I'm doing.


"Hi Aly", I try to smile for her.

"I know when you're faking it", she whispers.

I sigh, "Your too good".

She smiles, "No, you're just not good at hiding it is all".

I roll my eyes, talking with Alyson always brings about sarcasm.

I like sarcasm, I use it a lot and she understands it. When I talk with Alyson I actually feel normal for awhile.

"You know, it's getting late", Alyson says.

I shrug, "so?"

"You have to make a wish soon", she tells me.

I don't know what she's talking about.

"At 11:11 p.m. your supposed to make a wish", she tells me.

I grin, that's so old that no one does it anymore, only Alyson wouldn't know that and remember it.

"Yes, that's right, I almost forgot", I nod, playing along.

Alyson lowers her eyes to my level, "What do you wish for, Vi?" she whispers, her voice is soft and barely audible, I'm afraid soon she won't be able to talk at all.

I blink, "I wish for you to get better".

I would too, I pray for her ALL the time, and I don't even know if I believe is God. But I still do it, because I'm afraid if there is one and I don't pray he won't make her better, so now I'm acting as if there is a god, and I'm begging him to make her better.

Alyson tries to shake her head, "Don't".

I almost laugh, "Aly, you need to get better".

Aly sighs, "It's pointless wishing for things that you know aren't going to be granted".

I feel tears brimming my eyes, what happened to the little girl who was always so optimistic about everything? What happened to the little girl who could make me laugh even when she knew I didn't want to do anything but sulk? I wanted that little girl back, I wanted my friend back, I wanted my Alyson back.

"You don't know it won't be granted", my voice cracked, the tears threatened to penetrate my stong demeanor.

"Yes I do. I'm not dumb, I know I'm going to-"

"Please Aly, don't say it", I shook my head, coming up to sit on the edge of her bed.

"Violet, listen to me. Everyone dies, it's not something you can avoid, but you, you can live! Your healthy, beautiful, talented, and you can be anything you want to be", Alyson smiled warmly at me.

I sighed heavily, "I'm not exactly healthy, Al".

Aly frowned, "Always the pessimist aren't we?"

I rolled my eyes, "Look whose talking".

Aly fumed, "Violet, I am being optimistic. I am going to go to heaven soon, and theres no place better then heaven".

I couldn't help it, I let the tears begin to fall, "Here is better, here you can be with me, you can help me get through this", I gulped down a heavy lump in my throat.

Alyson reached out to touch my cheek, "I'm going to wish for you to be happy, Violet".

No point in wishing for things that can't be granted.

I smiled, "Okay".

Alyson looked over at the clock, "It's 11:11 p.m, make a wish".

I just sigh and shake my head, "There's no point in wishing for things that can't be granted".

No comments:

Post a Comment